Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 2.5 year old male,neutered great dane who is experiencing

Customer Question

i have a 2.5 year old male,neutered great dane who is experiencing skin problems. They start out as small bumps, then the the skin and hair come off leaving a bare patch. he was tested for ringworm,it was negative. Ken
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in.Is he scratching often?Are these bumps under fur?Are the bumps red?Did they do a skin scraping to look for skin mites?Has your vet tried him on any medication yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not scratching to much. the bumps are under skin. not red. just checked for ringworm. no meds yet just benadryl
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. It very much sounds like you are describing hives. When they go away, often, the hair will fall out, and it will get scaly. There is typically an underlying allergy, so it may help to have your vet put him on a trial of prednisone to see if it goes away. If so, then you can always get him allergy tested, but only if you plan on putting him on allergy injections. You can also consider Atopica or Apoquel (if available to your vet) for long term allergy control. Some dogs may respond well to Benedryl, but you would have to give a Great Dane at least 75-100 mg every 8-12 hours. Bathing with an oatmeal based or hydrocortisone based shampoo can help a well. I would have your vet make sure to rule out skin mites with a skin scraping and a bacterial infection with a skin impression, but this more often than not is an allergy issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.