Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinarian. Owner/sole proprietor of mobile veterinary practice for 16 years.
8634083

I don't have a veterinarian but I've been raising horses years on my dad&

Customer Question

I don't have a veterinarian but I've been raising horses for 20 years on my dad's ranch. We just ran out of Adequan, and I need to know what procedure do I need to go thru to replace it?
My dad and granddad have been doing this for 40 and about 65 year, respectively. In speaking with them both, I have a feeling things were done differently than they are today, since they both have stated to me that they simply went and got it from the supply store we get the majority of our equine items from. As I've now looked into it, I need a prescription for this, which is not surprising. They grew up in the era when it was just kind of assumed everyone knows what they are doing and are on the up and up.
Can you please offer me some advice on who I need to contact or have come out?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning, and thanks for the questions. It appears that your requested Dr. is offline, and I didn't want you to have to wait for an answer.
Yes, Adequan does need a Vet's prescription these days, but the procedure is relatively simple. I'm including a link for you below that will take you to a site where you can order Adequan directly. The only requirement is that you have what is called a Doctor/Patient relationship, meaning that you have a Vet that knows you and has seen your horses. Hopefully you've had a Vet out within that last year or so, as this relationship is required by law. The site will explain the process of getting the Adequan delivered to your home. There are multiple online suppliers that offer this same type of service, so shop around for the best price, as they do vary from store to store.
http://adequan.vetsfirstchoice.com/?gclid=CNv7wbGr_sYCFReUfgodX6cP0Q
I do hope I've been of some help, and please let me know if you have any further questions.
Many thanks, ***** ***** of luck with Red!
-Dan C.