Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 9 yr old german sherpard. We took him to the VET

Customer Question

I have a 9 yr old german sherpard.
We took him to the VET & Emergency.
They both took xrays and it shows lungs foggy with mostly white shading throughout. They explained it needs to be more black shades.
We asked if it is cancer and they said that it can be three of the following...
One being Fungal
Second being bacterial
Third being cancer
For now they gave a 2 week antibiotic shot and they prescribed fluonzole 150mg 2x every 12 hours.
They also took texts to find out if this is bacterial or fungal infection.
My dog has literally lost his appetite for the past 24 hours.
He is panting regularly compared to how he would act in the past.
He is restless and when he trys to sleep he fights it because he is short of breath.
We understand the lungs are infected however when do we loose hope? How do we know if the dog is in pain or suffering? What can we do about it? Is vitamin okay to give to my pet? Would this help in this situation? I am even willing to do homeopathic remedies.
Please let me know...
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. I am very sorry to hear that your lad is struggling so. If the xrays showed increased whiteness/fog in the lungs (where black is air, which lungs should be full of), then your vets 3 differentials are exactly our concerns here. And with those in mind, it sounds like their treatment course if reasonable here. And those further tests that were taken will be the key here to telling us what is present and whether it is something we can treat for him. So, you are on the right track here. Still, if he is really struggling to breathe, then we do need to focus on keeping him comfortable until those answers are back. If you find that he is severely struggling with his breathing, you may need to discuss having him hospitalized on oxygen until the results are in. Oxygen would allow him to breathe easier despite that compromised lung tissue that is overtaking his lungs. As well, you can speak to his vet about anti-inflammatories to try to reduce inflammation in the airway, dog safe decongestants if he is there is a lot of airway discharge present, and/or bronchodilators to open his airway up as much as possible and ease his breathing with what lung tissue is still able to work. As well, vitamins can be give and puppy food can be fed if he is struggling to eat much (since it has more nutrition per bite). As well, if he sounds very congested, you can steam treat him as well (either by having him in the bathroom while you are running a hot shower or by using ahumidifier/nebulizer). Furthermore, after steam treating him, you can gently coupage his chest to help loosen anything material there. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I do want to provide a video link on how to coupage in dogs. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjPMjlhluQ4) As you will see, its like light clapping on the chest wall with cupped hands, and can just help along with steam loosen congestion and help them breathe easier. So, these are all worth using as well here. Overall, we need to tread with care if he is struggling to breathe. It won't be painful, as much as uncomfortable and exhausting for him. Still, we can try adding in the above to his treatments to try to ease his signs. And again the key here, if he is comfortable enough to continue, is going to be those results as they will reveal what is present and tell us if it is treatable for him or if it is a reason to let him go. Please take care,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do understand most of what you have explained. I don't like the fact that I am getting mixed answers from different people anyhow today I found out that my dog is positive on mycoplasma cynos. Doing my research this seems like a bacteria. I have attached a photo of the lab results and as well as an X-ray of the lungs. I don't understand, can this disease be the cause of this entire lines? My vet recommended I stop the use of fluconoze also because obviously we are not fighting bacteria according to the lab results attached.What do you think? Any suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I meant to attach photos attached.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,That is very positive to hear that they isolated the agent triggering his signs and that fungi have been ruled out (since they can be very difficult to treat). Just to note, since he is clear of fungus, you can stop treating with the Fluconazole. In regards ***** ***** you are correct that it is a bacteria. Still, it is a bit of an odd one as it has no cell wall and resides within cells. And it is these odd characteristics that can make it tough to treat since a lot of our antibiotics (which often target the cell wall) are not effective against it. As well, since it lives within cells, we have to use antibiotics that can safely enter the lung cells to then kill this bacteria. As well, in regards ***** ***** question mycoplasma can very easily cause primary pneumonia and severe lung disease in the dog. It is quite well know to cause severe lung disease in many species. So, it could very much be our culprit here. And therefore,it is advisable to treat against this now. Of course, we do always have to be wary to whether it is all that is present. Therefore, do consider potentially re-xraying once treatment is finished. This reason is to just make sure that the lungs are clear of infection (to prevent relapse) but also to ensure there are no remaining soft tissue opacities (which could hint at cancer as well). Please take care,Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.