Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Mother chinchilLa passed away days after birth. Baby and father

Customer Question

Mother chinchilLa passed away days after birth. Baby and father healthy. Can I place the baby with the father? Can I feed the baby goats milk through a syringe every 2-3 hours?
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I basically need info on caring for the baby and I'm concerned about the father hurting it
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I would not put the puppy with the father. He may end up being aggressive with them and killing it. You will have to hand raise this puppy. You can pick up puppy milk replacer from a vet or pet store, along with puppy bottles. You will have to feed the puppy every 2 hours the first week. You'll have then then feed every 2-4 hours weeks 2-3. During weeks 3-6, you can cut back to every 4-6 hours. We typically start to wean and offer solid food during weeks 5-6. Once 6 weeks old, they are usually completely weaned. I would not use goat's milk. It does not have the proper protein content. Puppy milk replacer is what you want to use. Here is a nice write up on raising orphaned kittens and puppies:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=576 I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My questions pertain to chinchillas, not puppies. Can you please respond
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I was reading chihuahua. Let me opt out for someone else. Very sorry about that.
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I’m Camille, and I’m the moderator for this topic. It seems the Expert has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the expert thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new expert to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right expert can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Thank you,
Camille-Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I would appreciate a response about chinchillas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have waited over 24 hours and have not received any answers on my chinchilla questions therefore I would like to be reimbursed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi chamile,
I realize I left a letter out of the spelling of chinchilla but I think enough time has passed without a response. I'd appreciate a full refund I've had non of my questions answered in a timely manner. I haven't had a courtesy response in overc24 hours either. I expect a full refund.