Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My 7 year old guinea pig has severe bubble foot and us in pain.

Customer Question

My 7 year old guinea pig has severe bubble foot and us in pain. Wondering what to give him. He is already on antibiotics and I started vitamin C
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear Puff is in pain.
It is not legal for us to give prescribing information on this forum. However, I can give you a website that has the information you seek.
http://www.guinealynx.info/analgesics.html
You'll see that all of these standard pain relief medications do pose some risk to guinea pigs. Many can cause liver or kidney damage. If Puff were mine, I would wait until tomorrow and contact my vet for help. But you can read all the information on the above site, and then make your own decision.
There are some other things you can do to help him be more comfortable. You've probably already made sure he has a soft very dry surface on which to stand. An Epsom salt soak can relieve pain. Pour some Epsom salts in a very shallow container. We don't want any part of Puff to get wet except his feet. Add comfortable warm water, and gently hold him there for about ten minutes. This can reduce swelling and pain. You can repeat twice a day.
Cleaning his feet with Betadine (sold in the first aid department of pharmacies and discount stores) can speed healing.
Like you, I hate to think of any animal in pain, but guinea pigs are very sensitive to medications, and I don't generally give any except under a vet's instructions. If you read the information on the site I gave you, and decide to go ahead, it would be best to use the lowest dose suggested.
If you gave more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope Puff will quickly reach a full recovery.
Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please tell me what you know about euthanasia for Guineans pigs.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
The euthanasia solution is usually injected into a vein. Guinea pigs have very small veins, and often, when they have been sick, it's impossible to get the solution into a vein. In those cases, the vet will administer an inhalant sedative, then inject the solution into the heart.
Once again, I can't give you instructions, but the University of Minnesota has guidelines for euthanasia of small animals. Scroll about halfway down.
http://www.ahc.umn.edu/rar/euthanasia.html
This one may also be of interest:
http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/index.php
I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!