Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My bunny ate part of our wicker chair yesterday. And today

Customer Question

my bunny ate part of our wicker chair yesterday. And today won't eat or drink and sits in one place only. But she is alert. Should I give her pedyillyte? Her poos are small and dry.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.I understand that your bunny ingested part of a wicker chair yesterday and is now lethargic, refusing to eat and drink and passing small, dry stools.I suspect that the wicker isn't digesting well and is forming a partial blockage in her stomach and possibly in part of her intestinal tract. She isn't eating because she has a full stomach, and likely is experiencing painful cramping. Unfortunately rabbits cannot vomit as readily as other species, that have a very strong gastroesophageal sphincter, so she cannot help herself by vomiting back up this foreign material.Rabbits that don't eat have gut stasis (slowing or stopping of normal gut movement), bacterial overgrowth in the gut and can die. If the gut isn't moving normally she will not produce normal stool. A rabbit that doesn't eat, even for only a day or two can quickly become critically ill. It is likely she is also quickly becoming dangerously dehydrated.Your little one needs to be warmed up. And you can try using a medicine syringe to put a few drops of karo syrup or pancake syrup on her gums to give her some quick energy.But she really needs veterinary care as soon as possible. Your veterinarian can give fluids and injectable medication to help get her gut moving normally again. She may need surgery to remove an obstruction.Here is a link to help you find a rabbit veterinarian in your area: http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.htmlIf you cannot get her seen tonight then you can try force feeding her with Oxbow critical care (found in pet stores and at many exotic veterinary clinics) or a syringe filled with crushed rabbit pellets mixed with a solution of 50% pedialyte and 50% water OR you can syringe in vegetable baby food, like carrots, green beans or squash.Understand the baby food and crushed pellets aren't balanced diets but it may help get her gut moving again until you can have her seen by a veterinarian and get her trouble diagnosed.Make sure to give her access to plenty of fresh grass or timothy hay. High fiber foods like hay are the best for bunnies that aren't eating well to stimulate gut movement, and they can cushion the sharp wicker fragments as well.If she is grinding her teeth, or drooling that indicates severe nausea and abdominal pain and an emergency visit is indicated. Best of luck with your little one. Please let me know if you have any further questions.