Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I took a nasal swab of my rabbit and sent it to UC Davis

Customer Question

I took a nasal swab of my rabbit and sent it to UC Davis because he has been sneezing. His results came back as negative for Pasteurella and Bordatella. However, he has moderate #'s for Enterococcus faecalis and rare #'s for E-coli. What does this mean
and do I need to treat him for anything?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
First, I am glad to hear that he was negative for those two common trouble makers in rabbit medicine. Still, in regards ***** ***** question, this swab result tells us that your lad has 2 gut bacteria (often passed in feces) growing in his nose. This is not a normal place for them to be and therefore we would want to treat this. In order to clear this abnormal population from his nose, we'd want to use one of the antibiotics that the lab listed these two misplaced bacterial species are vulnerable to.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )