Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Good evening!I adopted 2 guinea pigs a little over a month

Customer Question

Good evening!
I adopted 2 guinea pigs a little over a month ago. I've noticed their cage has had a very bad odor. It makes the whole room smell to the point where I have to clean their cage very thoroughly multiple times a week. My sister (who has owned a guinea pig for awhile) told me that wasn't normal. Also, one of them has been acting funny. The best thing I can compare it to is that she almost walks around like she's drunk. Kinda walking into things, and not seeming like she's all there. I'm not sure of that has anything to do with the smell? Or if that's a separate issue. Thank you for your help!
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion. Guinea pigs do tend to urinate a large amount daily, and make a mess of their cage but they rarely have a foul odor associated with them if they are healthy.Given the foul odor in their cage, which necessitates very frequent cleaning, and your one girl's abnormal behavior, with incoordination and walking into things I am concerned that she has a serious underlying disease process, such as organ failure or diabetes, which will cause abnormal metabolic wastes being produced which can affect brain function.Diabetes is something we seen a fair amount of in guinea pigs especially those that are overweight and are fed too much pelleted food and not fed enough hay. They don't do very well with insulin therapy but dietary control can help, feeding a diet very high in roughage (timothy and mixed grass hays) and very little pellets.Diabetes can predispose toward developing secondary urinary tract infections, which will worsen her diabetes and make it harder to control, and thus her urine should be tested for signs of infection too.In short your girl needs to see a veterinarian experienced with guinea pigs as soon as possible.Please let me know if you have any further questions.