Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I have three goldfish two comets and a wakin. I noticed

Customer Question

Hi I have three goldfish two comets and a wakin. I noticed the wakin is doing long white stringy poo. They are only fed once a day feed a good quality flake food and they get blood worms. They are all happy and active still. Could it be worms? Is it worth
treating them all? I am going away tomorrow for two days so I won't be able to get to the pet shop will it be ok to wait? I thought maybe they were over fed they are at my parents place so they could be over fed? The ammonia was 0 nitrite 0 nitrate between
5-10 and ph 7.4. Could the wakin have a parasite?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'll be happy to help you today. Long white stringy poo can mean several different things. One of the most common causes is tress which results in a goldfish not eating normally. Another common cause is constipation. That might not seem to make sense, but when constipated, only the runnier poo can get out. Overfeeding can contribute to that. If the poo has a zigzag shape and is almost clear, it may not be poo at all, but rather, old eggs being passed. A bacterial infection can also cause this. Actual parasites (worms) are possible, but less likely than these other things.
Since your wakin is eating well and behaving normally, it should be fine to wait. Ask your parents not to feed the fish at all for two days. Fish can easily go several days without food. If the problem is stress-related or due to overfeeding, that may give the fish time to normalize its system. If the problem persists after that, try feeding them some thawed out frozen peas. Mash the peas if they are too big.
If none of the above measures help, or if the fish develops other symptoms, then you may want to try treating with a pet store antibiotic. But put the affected fish in a quarantine tank to do that. We don't want to subject the other fish to medicines they don't need, and antibiotics can interfere with the beneficial bacteria in your filters.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope this will turn out to be something that clears up on its own.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Do you need any additional information? If not, and you are satisfied with what you have received, please take a moment to rate my service, so I may receive credit for it. Thank you.
If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Anna