Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My rabbit has a broken finger and a fractured finger according

Customer Question

My rabbit has a broken finger and a fractured finger according to the X-ray ( just 2 fingers on his left paw) the vet says and also he is limping on that foot. The vet gave my healthy 1 year old dwarf rabbit 0.16ml of meloxicam for 4 days. He told me to give him bedrest for 4 weeks, but didn't give him a splint or anything. I feel like the pain killers won't be enough for 4 weeks and he only gave me medicine to last for 4 days. I think he will still be in pain after a the medicine runs out! Is there anything else I give him if he's still in pain since he has no splint or anything holding his fractured and broken finger. Is there anything else I can give him myself if he's in pain after those 4 days the medicine runs out ?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Now we don't always splint toes in rabbits because doing so will tend to require a whole foot/leg bandage which can be very stressful to the rabbit. As well, since they often will get these bandages wet, this often translates to needing a bandage/splint changed every few days for the next 4-6 weeks.
Therefore, I suspect your vet wants him rested in a kennel (he shouldn't be limping everywhere because exercise should be limited to no more then a dog crate sized region with soft bedding and easy access to food/water) to ensure he doesn't move the foot much and therefore allows the bones (which are already in apposition) to start to knit and heal.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** medication, I do agree that he will need longer then 4 days of treatment. That said, there are no human medications we would want to use as a substitute. Therefore, since you just had him seen, you can ring the vet and request a larger bottle of the Meloxicam for the next few weeks. Furthermore, they should have no qualms about refills over this healing period. So, we need only to ring and make sure an appropriate amount will be dispensed as Nico requires.
Overall, splinting tends to cause rabbits more stress and issue (skin wounds from rubbing, frequent vet visits since they often take them off themselves, etc) then benefit. Therefore, if the bones are aligned, then rest and restricted exercise alongside pain relief is reasonable for allowing his bones to heal this fracture.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )