Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My female bunnies behaviour has changed, she has been holding

Customer Question

Hi, my female bunnies behaviour has changed, she has been holding up her front paw at times licking it and examining it, but is jumping and eating and pooing as usual. But she is more subdued than usual and is hiding more. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her for a few more days? I did check her paw and clipped a nail that had turned almost backwards but otherwise she does not respond or wince when having her paw touched.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr.Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and am happy to help you today.Do you feel that your bunny's sore foot or leg is getting better with time? It could have very well been the over grown nail. Often with these nails they turn around so much that they grow into a ventral pad. Sounds like your bunny's nail didn't grow that far, but it may have been putting pressure on the pad, and that is healing. . .hopefully.If your bunny is eating and drinking normally and you don't see any abnormality on her affected leg (from the shoulder to her claws), then I think you are safe to wait.