Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My bichon started to urinate in the house right in front of

Customer Question

My bichon started to urinate in the house right in front of us the past 2 weeks it has gotten worse. I took notice to excessive drinking also
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Polydipsia (increased thirst) is a danger sign of urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, diabetes mellitus, cushing's disease, both hepatic and renal insufficiency, and quite a few more metabolic disorders. Rocky is likely to be overfilling his bladder due his polydipsia and lacking the control to retain all of that urine. He mustn't be addressed as inappropriately urinating because of bad behavior at this time. It's important that he be attended to by his vet who needs to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Please fast Rocky for at least 4 hours prior to arriving for his appointment so that test results are most accurate. Never restrict water, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Sherri,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?