Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
2361900

My chihuahua's temp dropped to 97.3 degrees @ 36 hours ago

Customer Question

my chihuahua's temp dropped to 97.3 degrees @ 36 hours ago but still no puppies & now i found a wet spot with some blood in the middle on my bed ... extremely limited $$$ so i was hoping this accidental pregnancy would go smoothly without a vet :/
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she doesn't seem distressed & her temp just now was 99 degrees. i can hear at least 2 strong fast steady puppy heartbeats in there with the stethoscope that came with my online whelping kit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have to go to work & no internet there so can someone please get back to me asap or call my cell(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she just turned a very young 7, in great health, walks a mile a day & on store bought premade balanced raw food diet. never pregnant before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
& if the date i saw it happen is the accurate date she actually got pregnant (it may have even happened a few days before that too tho) today might be day 61 in the gestation period
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the daddy is another chichi/pap about her size
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
JaCustomer,
Sorry I wasn't immediately avaiable. If this is her first litter, have her seen immediately. Older dogs who get pregnant for the first time usually do not have an easy pregnancy at all and frequently need C-sections. The temperature alone should have signaled labor starting within 24 hours. However, maybe the thermometer wasn't inserted far enough into the rectum or left long enough. The blood is a sign that she is not only in labor but signs of an impending birth.
Please do not go to work without someone being there with her. If she hasn't delivered a pup within the hour, then you are going to need to have her seen by your vet as soon as possible since the pup might be stuck and not able to be born naturally. I know you don't want to lose your mom and the pups.
Here is a site with information on difficult deliveries.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/dystocia-difficult-birth-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1628&articleid=899
As you can see from reading the above articles, if you do not have a pup in the next 30 minutes or so, you do need her seen.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. I do need to be in a meeting in about 20 minutes but it should only take an hour or so. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she's not having contractions & not distressed at all
JaCustomer,
If she has bleeding from the uterus, then she needs to be seen if she doesn't have a pup.
Hi Michelle,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Scarlett. How is everything going?