Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I am worried about my feline cat called Dion. She is about

Customer Question

I am worried about my feline cat called Dion. She is about 13 years old now and has been in fine health until now just recently when she stopped eating and drinking and preening herself. The vet has taken a biopsy today following a visit last week when she was given antibiotics. This has all happened so quickly [three weeks]with no premature indication. There is a slight odour fro her breath and the side tongue hat joins the mouth bottom is swollen and sore. She is basically a house cat that comes in at nigh time so she never gets into cat fights etc. My vet thinks the worst - but I am in shock. She has not eaten very much and sometimes drools.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Dion. I'm so sorry you're in this difficult situation with her, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I felt the need to reach out to you when I read your question because I'm taking care of a cat in a similar situation right now. His name is ***** ***** he's twelve. I'm expecting his biopsy results to come back tomorrow. Meanwhile, he's here in my care, relaxing on pain medications and getting used to the feeding tube we placed in order to make sure he gets plenty of nutrition while he heals. The most common causes for sores under the tongue are:Underlying dental diseaseViral diseasesOral tumors/cancerI know that's a pretty scary list. More to follow...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like Dion is receiving excellent care. I'm glad your vet collected the biopsy. That's the best way to know for sure what's going on. Then you'll know what to expect and will be confident you're on the right treatment plan. It's worth mentioning that if this is due to underlying dental disease, Dion will need full-mouth oral x-rays to identify any problems below the gumline.I can hear the fear and worry and surprise that something like this could happen after she's been so healthy for so long. Unfortunately, that's very typical for something like this. Cats are pretty tough, so they do well until something comes along that's really serious, and then things get bad quickly. All these symptoms Dion is showing are typical for any kind of problem in the mouth, regardless of the cause. I understand how shocking this is. I know Apache's owner is struggling in a similar manner. Please let me know what I can do to help. In the meantime, remember you can return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You can do this even after you've ACCEPTED my response and rated my answer. I'll be notified of your reply via email and will do my best to help.