Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My guinea pig is itching and losing hair I think he has mites

Customer Question

my guinea pig is itching and losing hair I think he has mites and want to treat him safely, what can I use
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Mites are one of the most common causes of itching and hair loss in guinea pigs, therefore this is an important base to cover. Now in regards ***** ***** to use, our best option is to use an Ivermectin based spot on anti-parasitic treatments (ie Xeno) in these situations. These are typically available over the counter at most vets and some pet stores. Otherwise, your vet can administer an injectable version for your lad. And I would note that when treating we usually want to do so twice two weeks apart. That way we can ensure we kill adults and the next generation once they hatch and get him mite free.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Deb,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.