Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My betta buddy, that ive had , suddenly stopped

Customer Question

hello, my betta buddy, that ive had for weeks, suddenly stopped eating 2 days ago. he was a bright blue and yellow, and now hes quite pale and gray. hes either at the surface breathing, or lying at the bottom. i can find no evidence of external parasites or injury, water parameters are correct, as is temperature. tried aq for a couple of days, just getting worse. took 1/2 his water out to make it easier for him to get to the surface to breathe. just gave first dose of tetracycline an hour ago. i do not use antibiotics lightly. am new to fishkeeping, but have been doing much research since adopting them. he has no tankmates. please help, ive become very attached to him
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Which water parameters did you test (as not all tests are created equally)? Did it include ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH? What were the results of the tests?
Does his belly look distended?
Are his scales raised at all?
When he swims to the surface, is his swimming normal or is he struggling to right himself?
Do you have any aeration in the tank?
When did you last see him pass stool?