Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I have a baby cotton tail rabbit we aren't able to get him

Customer Question

Hi I have a baby cotton tail rabbit we aren't able to get him to get none close by that care for him we accidentally cut his eye when mowing the lawn we took him in and cared for him, he was doing great for a weak I put antibiotic cream ritually on his wound now it seems where he poops is swollen and back up literally. I am deeply saddened and don't know what to do.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in small animal health, and over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear of this incident.Some additional information will be useful.

What have you been feeding the rabbit?

In what state do you live - so I can try to find some help?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Anna, Unfortunately the bunny passed away a couple of hours ago. He came to me last night and laid by me, he was very loving. When I awoke a couple hours later he was gone. I feel better that he is not suffering any more. Just deeply saddened that I couldn't do more. He was eating goat milk and hay. He also had some carrots. But since Friday he didn't want any solids I only fed him his milk when he let me.

Thank You I wish I could of got too y'all sooner and I know y'all would of been of much help.

- Heather

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me, Heather. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's too bad no local vets would help. When a rabbit stops eating, a condition called gastro-intestinal stasis develops. The digestive system just shuts down. It is one of the leading causes of death in rabbits. A vet can give what are called gut motility drugs to get things moving again. Being a wild cottontail complicated the picture. What happened to you is fairly common when trying to raise baby cottontails. They do well for awhile,mother start to decline. It is heartbreaking to care so much and put forth so much effort to care for them, only to have them pass away. You did all you could on your own. A vet was really needed.
I know that words don't really help, but all I can do now is offer my condolences. I'm sorry. I was hoping for a better outcome.
Anna