Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

We have a male and female Marmosets that are approximately

Customer Question

We have a male and female Marmosets that are approximately two years old and were raised together since babies but they are not siblings. They have not produced any babies yet and we were told that since they were raised together that they might think their brother and sister and by separating them for a few months and then putting them back together they make them produced babies. Is this true or do you have any suggestions?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
First, why do you want them to reproduce? Depending on where you are located, there may be a number of permits required. More importantly, for the well-being of the animals, separating them could be a terrible mistake. They live in family groups in the wild, and being alone for even a few months could cause terrible stress. Tamarins are prone to severe stress-related disease, and my opinion that separating them could be detrimental to their health, welfare, and well-being. I think it would be a bad idea, and likely they would not produce young anyway.