Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My 1yr old male mouse looks swollen and is having labored breathing.

Customer Question

my 1yr old male mouse looks swollen and is having labored breathing. He also seem to have a rapid heart beat. No vet til Monday. Anything I can hope to do for him?
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do NOT need a cat veterinarian. I need a small exotic animal vet! Our pet is a MOUSE. I was originally chatting with that type of expert. This has been a crazy first time experience here, I hope it improves before our mouse dies without us ever even getting to the right expert. So far, we have had the small vet who got me to make the deposit, then a small dog breeder, then for some reason a lawyer, now a cat vet. Something is wrong here.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years with special interset in small mammals and Exotics. I am not a Vet but would like to try and assist you. If you still want a Vet I can try and locate one for you.
How is Moby doing this morning?
What type of diet is he eating?
Is he passing stool and Urine?
Taking Fluids?
Has the swelling gone down?
Labored breathing?
Any nasal discharge wheezing or coughing?
Any swelling in eyes?
Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is alive but barely. He is in obvious pain. His cage is too cluttered to tell if he has pooed. He peed last night when trying to run from me. He won't come to me at all. He is always nervous. but will normally come to my hand and come out onto it after a few times of smelling me. He did eat some of his popcorn and a cheerio last night between midnight and 1am. Can't tell if he has drank because he has a bowl for water and a water bottle too. No coughing or wheezing. His eyes are always pretty much squinty, except occasionally. Still labored breathing with extreme fatigue. He came out of his bed/ cubbie, only to lay on top of it, when we came to check on him this afternoon. His whole body is very swollen. Please, anything I can do. We have only one small vet in this town, and they are clueless. My last mouse died under their lack of care and three hundred dollars later. They even called me to remind me we had an appointment, after I had called to cancel because our precious baby had suffered and passed away. I do have different meds/vits for my cats, and am willing to buy whatever is needed to help him. I even have a pain meds in a syringe from my cat's surgery. I don't want to see him suffer. please help me
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I spoke to several Vets here and none feel there is a good answer for what is happening. Medication cannot be recommended because of Legal Ramifications. In all honesty I suspect that the mouse may have an internal Cancerous tumor causing the problems you are seeing and should be Euthanized to alleviate further suffering.
I am going to opt out in hopes that one of the small animals Vets will step in and assist you with some Over the counter medication for Pain.
Joan
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I’m Camille, and I’m the moderator for this topic. It seems the Expert has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the expert thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new expert to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right expert can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Thank you,
Camille-Moderator