Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I have had my 12 month old rabbit weeks, each time I

Customer Question

I have had my 12 month old rabbit for 3 weeks, each time I see her in her hutch at lunch time and evening she seems to have dirt stuck in her nostrils. She hasn't been sneezing, she is eating and drinking and pooping normally and seems to be acting normally too! What could it be the vet checked her lungs they are clear and he says she seems fine
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

Can you send a photo of your rabbit's nostrils? You can upload a photo by clicking on REPLY, then at the top of the area where you would type is a tool bar with icons. Click on the little paper clip icon (it's right next to the YouTube icon). Instructions will pop up. On some browsers, this doesn't work. if that happens, you can put your photo on one of the free photo sharing websites, such as www.photobucket.com. Then come back here and paste the link to your picture in a REPLY.

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://s358.photobucket.com/user/sarahyates88/media/2015-06/F1464157-A4BB-45FD-BB4B-A1E04CF14B02_zpsj80wpks6.png.html http://s358.photobucket.com/user/sarahyates88/media/2015-06/0F4C166F-036E-48AB-AB01-93261FC83DB9_zpssvs9uv4b.png.html I've noticed her nose gets a little damp now and again and she sneezed last night when eating her hay. Sometimes there is dirt in her nose and sometimes it's clean. Her paws are clean also and no loud breathing
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back to me, and for the photos.I don't believe Flopsy has anything wrong with her. Rabbits sniff everything and their noses get right in their hay and pellets. Sometimes minute particles of dust from the food and bedding can lodge at the nostrils. Sneezing once is not cause for alarm. She could be reacting to something in her litter/bedding. If you're using a wood-based litter, switch to a paper-based one, such as CareFresh unscented. That is less likely to cause a reaction and is cleaner.

If a rabbit sneezes repeatedly, we suspect something in the nose - a small piece of hay is most common. A vet can remove that. One sneeze doesn't indicate a problem of any kind. If you see a real discharge dripping from the nostrils or caking the eyes, you'll need to see the vet again. If Flopsy were to stop eating, that would be an emergency situation, even if no other symptoms are present. But you aren't dealing with any of these things. I suspect your bunny is just fine.

It's normal for a first-time rabbit owner to be nervous until you figure out what's normal and what isn't. I highly recommend this site for learning about rabbit care:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/rabbithealth.html

When you have some time, you may want o go there and just read information in the various areas of the site.

If you have any more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you and Flopsy enjoy many years together.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!