Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
2361900

My 8 week old lab pup got into another dogs food and drank

Customer Question

My 8 week old lab pup got into another dogs food and drank water. Her stomach is bloated but going down. She just wants to lay down. What do I do? Her physical appearance is fine except for her stomach.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
When a dog or puppy overeats, you need to watch for bloat. At this point, it is probably just that she over ate. You want to keep her calm and inactive as possible to help prevent bloat (stomach twisting). With over eating, I would keep an eye on her for bloat. Common symptoms are attempts to vomit (usually unsuccessful) and may continue to try to vomit, dog just doesn't seem like themselves, a hunched up posture, anxiety and restlessness, a distended stomach that is tight like a drum, gums may be dark red in early stages and white or blue in later stages. These are the most common symptoms and the list goes on. If you believe your dog has bloat they should be seen immediately.
Simethicone products like gas-x may help while you take her into the vet IF she should start displaying symptoms of bloat. You can read more on bloat here.
http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm
I would limit water intake (especially since she has already drank) and limit her activity to reduce the chance of bloating. Be sure to walk her on a leash so she isn't running around. I would not give her additional food until tomorrow and then keep her on a bland diet like boiled chicken and rice for a day or so. There isn't anything you can do to "push" the food through. All you can do is minimize the chance that the overeating causing a problem. She should be fine, just keep her from moving around too much. I know this will be a little difficult for an 8 week old pup, but try and keep her crated and not bouncing like they are prone to do.
`
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.