Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Anna my hamster has a black growth on his ear it has burst,after

Customer Question

Hi Anna my hamster has a black growth on his ear it has burst,after that it went right down. but I can see its growing again. can u tell me what it is?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What kind of discharge did you see when the mass burst?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr B,the mass is very dark brown and not pussy its quite runny texture. I cant post you a picture im no good at that sort of thing sorry
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
That is fine if you cannot post a photo, but can you tell me what color that runny discharge is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is dark brown in colour when it burst it was everywhere in his cage,meaning thin trails on his wheel on the side of his cage and bedding
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see growths of this nature related to a few different issues. Common ones are abscesses (but less likely if we don't have pus), glandular cell based tumors (which is a concern at his age and can be discharge filled), polyps (though these usually do not rupture), and cysts.
In Yogi's case, we'd have to be most wary of cysts but also would have to consider the potential for a tumor. That said, since it sounds like we have a growth that expands to a finite size before rupturing, a cyst is most likely here. So, this would be my top concern in regards ***** ***** question as to what is lurking.
Now frustratingly, cysts do regrow, rupture, and repeat. This is because as the skin heals and closes, those cyst cells keep producing fluid/discharge and that will lead to refilling of the growth until it pops again. For all animals, this creates a situation where we either surgically remove the cyst to cure the problem or medically manage when it does rupture. At Yogi's age, the former is something we'd be reluctant to do (though it is an option). Therefore, in these situations, we often will just monitor them, salt water bathe the cyst when it is open to prevent infection (don't be tempted to use antibiotic cream since if ingested could cause fatal diarrhea), and provide supportive care as needed. As well, we will sometimes use hamster safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam) to reduce any inflammation and try to reduce the cyst's size.
Overall, these would be our concerns for what you are seeing here. Treatment again tends to be surgical or supportive. Though at his age, we'd likely lean to the latter, since it isn't bothering him and we'd be concerned about his being an anesthetic candidate. Therefore, if it is ruptured at the moment, you can salt water bathe (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) a few times daily to keep infection away while it heals but know that it will refill and rupture again.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thankyou I will do the salt water treatment thankyou for the information I feel a lot better knowing what it is
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
I am glad that I could shed some light on this for you.
All the best for Yogi,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dawn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Yogi. How is everything going?

Dr. B.