Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My 11 day old baby syrian hamster pups are getting that bloated

Customer Question

my 11 day old baby syrian hamster pups are getting that bloated clear looking belly, and can barely walk, non of them are eating solid foods, what causes this and is there anything I can do?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your Syrian hamster pups. I'm so sorry you're going through this, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You're definitely right to be worried... I'm sorry to have to tell you that bloated pups this age have a very high mortality rate, regardless of the cause. :-(
The most common cause of bloat in hamster pups is either an intestinal bacterial overgrowth or a birth defect that leads to liver failure.
You can read about one person's experience with bloat here...
http://hamsterdiariesblog.com/2012/07/30/liver-failure-in-baby-hamsters/
And here is another experience...
http://www.madabouthamsters.com/showthread.php/18642-Pups-have-bloat
In regards ***** ***** you can do, the best thing to do is to take your litter to an experienced and capable hamster vet. If you live in a big city or near a vet school, that is much more likely to be possible.
Other than that, the best recommendation I can make is to try the dietary suggestions of adding cucumber and carrot to the food.
Again, I'm really sorry. I know it's awful to feel so helpless in a situation like this when your babies are failing to thrive.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just checking in to see if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I've provided above and checking out the links. I know this is a really scary situation and the possibility of losing these babies is very real, so I want to do all I can to help.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo