Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My rat Murph has one very swollen and painful foot. swelled

Customer Question

My rat Murph has one very swollen and painful foot. swelled up in a very short period of time. Not able to find a vet to see him until tuesday. what can I do until then?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If you've examined Murph's foot and didn't find an obvious wound, I'd be concerned that Murph suffered a fracture which usually is caused by the foot becoming entangled in the wire of a cage. There's little to do unless the fracture is compound and requires surgical intervention but you can administer aspirin to rats at a dose of 50-75 mg/lb by mouth every 4 hours. The aspirin should reduce the swelling while being analgesic as well. You'll need to crush and powder the aspirin into water or a tasty broth and then administer it by eyedropper.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?