Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My schnoodle has been diagnosed with lymphoma. he is only on

Customer Question

my schnoodle has been diagnosed with lymphoma. he is only on prednisone. it is not working it has been 4 weeks and the glands under his neck are getting larger. Is there an alternative medicine that we can try?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in veterinary cancer and holistic care for pets. I'm so sorry to hear of your dog's diagnosis.

Whole books have been written about alternative cancer treatments for dogs, so the best I can do here is give you a summary and some links for further information. Both conventional and holistic treatments seldom offer a complete cure (though it isn't unheard of), but instead slow the cancer's progress. Integrative treatment involves the best of both conventional and alternative. Dr Roger Clemmons, DVM, at the University of Florida is a leading expert on integrative veterinary medicine. I would recommend that you read his article, which includes recommendations for vitamins, herbs, and other supplements. It will give you much of the information you are seeking. You can read it here:

http://www.wholisticpawsvet.com/articles/Integrative_Treatment_of_Cancer_in_Dogs.pdf

Most holistic practitioners recommend avoiding chemicals, such as the antibiotics, pesticides, and hormones found in meats and produce. Filtered water and organic foods are suggested. You can buy organic dog foods. It's also good to feed a diet higher in fat and lower in carbohydrates to dogs with cancer. Cancer cells are nourished by carbohydrates. Science Diet makes a food for dogs with cancer - you would have to obtain it through your vet.

K-9 Immunity is a blended mushroom product made just for dogs with cancer. you may ahve already come across information on it. There have been some studies that show mushrooms help. Blends of mushroom species seem to be better than using only one. This particular product is expensive, but it is high-quality. If you’re interested in knowing more:

http://www.alohamedicinals.com/pet.htm?source=google&gclid=CKGolv2t3p8CFQSbnAod_zDQHA

About 50% of dogs don't respond to prednisone. The others don't, and the lymphoma becomes even more aggressive. After treatment with pred, other forms of chemo are less likely to work. You can read more here about that:

As a first step, I think it would be best to read Dr. Clemmons article (the first link I gave you), and then go on to other information. If you have further questions, just let me know. I hope you can achieve the best possible outcome for your dog.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!