Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My male Syrian panda has a upper respitory infection and is wheezing gasping but s

Customer Question

My male Syrian panda has a upper respitory infection and is wheezing gasping for air but still able to walk around normally, even run for a little bit. Eating and drinking is normal. But he begins to squeak with every breathe and cough too. He doesn't come out much. The vet gave me 2 sulfra/trim 40/8mg/ml to give 0.05 ml 2 times per day for 10 days. Is this better than the Baytril and Doxycycline I've heard about being used for uri in hamsters?
Also I feed him my own mix of flax, sunflower, barley, plain dry oatmeal, dark green lettuce, cucumber, and some brand name (I forgot) hamster mix comprised of the common hamster mix stuff. I'm not sure he is getting everything he needs. The vet gave me oxbow critical care fine grind and feeding syringe. He still eats food, but I want him to eat this because it has all the nutrients he needs, but he won't eat it just mixed with water. Should I put the paste into the syringe and drop into his mouth?
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 1 year and 8 months old. He lives in a huge terrarium, about 100 cm long and maybe 50-60 cm wide. It is kept clean with a fan at the top that circulates the air
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How long has Hammy had these signs?
How long has he been on the Sulfa/Trim?
Has he had normal stools?
Does he sound wheezy and congested?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Just since you seem to have 2 accounts open, I will post this here to make sure you get my message.
First, all of his signs fit with a upper respiratory tract infection. As well, just to note, initial hiding/withdrawing is a normal prey species behavior. This is because instinct tells them that if you cannot hide your feeling poorly then this will make you a target for predation. Therefore, they withdraw and take a more defensive approach.
Now there are a range of antibiotics that we can use to treat respiratory tract infections of the hamster (just as there are a range doctors can use for us). The sulfa drugs are actually quite commonly used in respiratory tract infections and safe to use in hamsters. So, this was a reasonable drug choice and we'd want to consider using it here.
Just to touch on the others, the other 2 you have mentioned are also common antibiotic choices. Now most people do tend to reach for the Baytril first because it is one of the few antibiotics that are licensed for the exotics and it is good for pneumonia. Doxy is commonly used when mycoplasma in rats is suspect. So, these are all reasonable choices and we wouldn't say that one is better then the others. Instead, they just all are antibiotics that can be used in this species safely that can help against a range of agents. So, unless we are taking samples from the lungs and culturing it to diagnose what is present and what drug it is most vulnerable to; we can use any of these.
Finally, since steam concentration in the bathroom may not be intense enough for him. I would just note that you can steam treat him using a humidifier/nebulizer. This can be used with a small carrier and a bed sheet over both to give a more concentrated steam dose for him.
Overall, the antibiotic choice is not incorrect and would be worth starting at this stage. If he didn't show improvement, then the others could be considered as well.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-PS: I am online all through this morning/afternoon here in the UK. So, I should be able to catch any further messages from yourself. Take care, Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )