Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have a VERy large type of goldfish that I was told can live up

Customer Question

I have a VERy large type of goldfish that I was told can live up to 15+ yrs. He is +/- 6 ys old and beautiful. He lives in a 36 gal aquarium with a very large placostomus (sp). He has Always been Very healthy until recently. He has lost scales on his one side in his tail section. Petsmart manager of fish dept. said he had a disease and game me a box of pills called All In One Remedy. He was active and normal eating and swimming until yesterday when I treated his tank as told with 6 tablets. I removed the charcoal in his filter when treatment started. His fins and beautifultail are now looking shredded on the edges. He has no appetite today. Medication will do that to any person or animal.
Im reaching out because I will go to any length to save him.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Have you checked the tank's water parameters?
What is the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?
What disease did the aquarist say he had?
What is the active ingredient in this "all in one" treatment?
Have you seen Michael rubbing the scaleless region?
Any changes to the skin there?
Are you seeing any cotton-like or growth link material on the shredded fins?
Can you take a photo of his tail base and fins? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Active ingred...1-chloro-2,2,5,5tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinane
6 pills/day for 5 days then a complete water change.Do not know the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates level.
His tank is changed and filters cleaned every 2 weeks.I remove 10 gal and clean gravel with suction hose. Replaced with 10 gal RO water. He's been moved to this large tank one year ago.The fish manager did not state any specific disease. By the look she gave me after viewing a video I had taken at home I don't know if she really knew.No I Never saw him rubbing that region but his tail bends to the side like a crocked finger and he only likes to or is able to turn to that side I noticed when I was taking the video. Almost like he was swimming for the camera. I thanked him for the good shots. Today the scales are gone. That section b4 was a pinkish color which im guessing was the site of infection. His whold body has lost shine. Nothing of any cotton-like or growth on any fins/tail.I will send yesterdays pics/video and then take ones of today
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now it would be advisable to have those water parameters checked right off the bat (since water compromise can increase fish stress and make them more vulnerable to disease). Your local aquarium shop should be able to do this (usually free of charge) for you if you do not have a testing kit.
In regards ***** ***** bent tail, are you seeing any issues with his swimming with this?
Otherwise, if you can post those photos/videos, that would be perfect. That way I can see just what you are seeing here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded video and a picture from yesterday to photobucket. Idk if its there or not. I copied your address but no clarification if it went to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Someone tell me something..Please.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
You just need to post the link on this page as you would a reply.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had water tested...nitrate results are .25
Nitrate range is 10
pH range is 6.8
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/crwillowstable/Micael/IMG_1607_zpsnmfzjzbl.jpgHaving trouble with the video part. Refuses to upload for me on multiple platforms. He lays at the bottom gasping for air and seems to have his scales fallen off on one side as well as the bent tail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can send the video via email or text message. Is there ayway I could send them that way? Please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a scam and my fish has gotten worse and will die. I will certainly not give you any $ or a good reference.