Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My hamster may have wet tail but I don't know. She is still

Customer Question

My hamster may have wet tail but I don't know. She is still active and eats right, just want to make sure
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in small animals and exotics.
Can you tell me the diet being fed?
Is this a dwarf or teddy bear hamster?
Bedding?
How loose is the stool?
Diet fresh and hamster feed?
Passing urine?
Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well looking at the food, I guess she has been eating Guinea Pig Food, generic store brand. She also gets dried banana chips and pumpkin seeds.
She is a teddy bear I do believe. She has been using Arm & Hammer Natural Pet Bedding (which is supposed to hide send but actually smells worse).
It's in pellet shapes, but is green and mushy.
I don't really know how to tell if she is passing urine, I know she is passing stool a lot. And is still active.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Wet tail is not an illness, but a symptom of something going on. This can be a result of diet, not enough fiber or a bacterial infection. The first thing I would like to do is got to a good quality food like Oxbow Essentials, Harry Hamster or Vita Mix foods. To this you can add some fresh foods: http://pethamsters.webs.com/hamsterfooddiet.htm
I suggest to help with the soft stools you start with a small square of a toasted piece of whole grain bread to help add fiber to the diet. You can also give a little dab of Canned Pumpkin not pi filling to the hamster to help with the loose stool.
I would supplement fluids with some Pedialyte to make sure she does not dehydrate. I would also start some Bene Bac which can be gotten at the Pet shop. That is a Pro Biotic to aid with gut flora.
I would schedule a Vet visit with a Vet familiar with Exotics to be sure and get an antibiotic to get the loos stools under control. The loose stools can be deadly if not cared for, so you have the suggested first aid, but bot***** *****ne a exam should be done to determin cause and treated.
joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Spazmae. How is everything going?

Joan