Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Previous Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog suddenly cannot walk or go up stairs but its more like

Customer Question

My dog suddenly cannot walk or go up stairs but its more like she is dizzy than that she is in pain. She has trouble standing and laying down. Then the next day she is fine. And the next day she is having trouble again. She lays in one spot all day.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am sorry to hear you dog is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 27 years. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions. How old is your dog?What breed is she? When she has bad days have you happened to notice if there was any paling of the gums? On her good days is she able to go up and down stairs with no trouble? Any tilting of the head or odd eye movement? How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My dog is 13 years old. She is a mutt - she looks like a small Golden with a brown nose (not black). Our vet suggested she may be half Golden and half Husky, but we don't know. She is about 40-45 pounds.

I have not looked at her gums, but I will next time.

Yes, on her good days she can go up and down stairs and run around.

It seems to me that she does have an odd tilt of her head and her front paws kind of turn inward. I have not noticed her eyes rolling back or any odd movements, but she closes her eyes a lot (I assume she is napping).

This has been going on for about a week.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
No if he is attacking then that is the time you want to try to redirect him immediately with something like a laser toy or can of coins. It that does not work then grab him make a loud pisst sound and tap him lightly on the head like a mother cat would do
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
please ignore that last reply for some reason my answer to another question posted on yours. I am working on your answer now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information and again I apologize for that post popping up that must have seemed odd to you. We have recently changed the interface of the site and it seems a bit buggy today. There are a few possible things going on. One thing I would want to look at immediately is the spleen. Large dogs in general are prone to tumors on the spleen and more so goldens. Tumors on the spleen bleed and often we will see a small bleed that resolves on its own. When this happens the dog will often appear suddenly weak especially in the hind end and just generally off balance. They can be really bad for a few hours up to a day and then suddenly they are fine. When this happens the gums will normally be pale when they are not doing well. The problem is that if this is the cause eventually the tumor will develop a bleed that does not stop.The following article will go in to this in more detail http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_splenic_masses.htmlGoldens are also prone to these same types of tumors on the heart.One other problem we see often in the golden breed is brain tumors and this can cause a head tilt, weakness, circling, etc. This article goes in to the symptoms of brain cancer in more depth http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vhc/tc/clinical_services/neuro/brain_tumor.html Of course considering her age we also have to consider things like arthritis, tumors on the spine, hip dysplasia and other bone related problems however, I would not expect this to develop suddenly or to come and go.Problems in the inner ear and brain can also cause a problem called vestibular disease which results in a head tilt, incoordination, dizziness, etc but this also does not normally come and go Because a tumor on the spleen can be fatal very quickly I really think this is something you have to rule out asap. Your vet may also want to do blood work to look at the liver and kidneys as well as the thyroid levels. X rays to look at the spleen will also allow your vet to look at the heart, spine and hips. I wish I could say for sure what was going on but in this case I think it is going to take a more hands on approach to figure this out for sure. I hope this helps give you some things to discuss with your vet. Please reply back of you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. Please note that while you have placed a deposit with Justanswer I am not compensated for my time unless a rating of ok or higher is provided. I strive to provide excellent service so please do not hesitate to reply back if I can be of further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information. I want to add that last night she had a nose bleed, does that mean that it likely has to do with the brain?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.
Has she had any recent exposure to ticks or toxins like rat poison.
The most common causes of nose bleed are.
* Tick borne illnesses such as Ehrlichiosis
* Hemangiosarcoma which is the type of tumor commonly found on the spleen ( This as you can see from me original question was one of my concerns)
* Cancer in the skull or nasal cavity
* Problems with the clotting factors in the blood
* Bone marrow disease
* Fungal infections such as Aspergillus
I would really suggest getting her in for blood work and x rays