Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My ferret won't stop pacing. She's seven years old, and hypoglycemic.

Customer Question

My ferret won't stop pacing. She's seven years old, and hypoglycemic. Currently on .1 ml prelone syrup
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years with interest in Exotics and small mammals.If my suspicions are correct Protein in the form of Chicken baby food will help until she can see the Vet. We have to try and get a little in at a time. You can use a syringe and use some chicken broth if needed to water it down so it can be drawn up. Give very slowly and you do not have to give it all at once, but try several times through the night. If the glucose levels are not correct an she has had a drop or a rise the Protein should help balance the levels. She should be seen asap by her Vet. I suspect that you are treating Insulinoma when you you said she is Hypoglycemic. Protein like the Duck soup diet which has variations is what we use to treat in an emergency situation.Joan