Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

Is it my turn yet?????

Customer Question

Is it my turn yet?????
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is not an information request but just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks but I dont have Skype.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How much extra for phone calls????

Hello again, There is an extra charge of $15:00 for a phone call, please let me know if you want to arrange this, otherwise I am glad to type out a full answer. Regards, Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting, I am glad to answer your question this way but please get back to me for a phone call if you wish. So sorry to hear about your dog's problem ... However I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think. I direct answer to your question : I have treated dogs with lymphoma quite a few times over the years and my experience is that with an untreated case the life expectancy will not be more than around one month to six weeks, very often much less depending on how advanced the disease was at diagnosis. I will tell you a little of the basic facts about this disease ....1. This is a disease which will present with swollen lymph nodes in the neck and elsewhere. The only sure way to diagnose lymphoma is via a lymph node biopsy, you can suspect it on clinical signs but you will not be 100% sure. Blood tests are an aid to diagnosis but often do not present the whole picture.2. There are a number of ways of treating lymphoma, one of which is by the use of a drug called prednisolone alone, this is given orally. If you go down this road your dog is likely to have a six week to two month remission period, during this remission period these dogs will be close on normal and have a good quality of life. At the end of the remission period the disease will come back with a vengeance and normally your dog will die very shortly after that.3. There are more advanced treatment plans involving standard chemotherapy drugs which will give significantly longer periods of remission. However using steroids alone previously will very much reduce the effectiveness of them if you decide to change treatments. So you have to decide which way to go from the start.4. On the chemotherapy protocols I have personally undertaken the side effects I have seen have normally been quite minimal. What you would normally achieve would be six to nine months of remission and normal life but then the drugs become ineffective and the dog slips away. Cures are in theory possible but I personally have rarely seen any but you would have a much better chance of success if your dog is dealt with by a specialist oncologist at a referral center somewhere.Here is a link to a very good web site which covers the subject in depth so you can research it all a bit more : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.