Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

what can I give my cat for constipation

what can I give my cat for constipation
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Constipation in cats, can be caused by underlying issues, such as kidney disease, diabetes, etc,

Customer:

What can I do to make my cat more comfortable?

Dr. Drew :

but for symptomatic relief, there are a few options.

Dr. Drew :

Colace is a commonly used product,

Dr. Drew :

available over the counter in 25-50mg gel-caps

Customer:

Is there anything I can do so he can "poop"?

Dr. Drew :

1 gel-cap can be given, every 12-24 hours, to help soften stools.

Customer:

oh ok.....just saw your message

Dr. Drew :

another option is Miralax powder,

Dr. Drew :

1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon, every 24 hours, mixed with some canned food

Dr. Drew :

either option is considered safe, but again, if there's an underlying medical problem, it needs to be addressed if Tigger's constipation is to be resolved on a more consistent basis.

Customer:

I'll give it a try. Thank you

Dr. Drew :

you are very welcome.

Dr. Drew :

best wishes to both of you.

Customer:

Tigger is an old cat (about 17) We have not taken the cat to a vet because of not only cost, but the stress of getting the cat in the travel container and the scare of the doctor visit. He will freak out so much, I fear that I will only be adding o his misery. I am assuming he has kidney problems or liver disease. He did have a bowel movement about 5 days ago...large, hard black and bloody. Poor baby! He does not each much, drinks plenty of water...but we were thinking he could finish his days at home, as comfortable as possible. Any other suggestions?

Customer:

I mean "eat much"

Dr. Drew :

without a diagnosis, all you can try to do is the stool softeners, and to try to encourage water and food intake as best as possible.

Dr. Drew :

chicken broth diluted with water 50-50 is sometimes helpful

Customer:

Ok....Thanks so much!

Dr. Drew :

you're welcome -- good luck.

Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery