Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

It appears my male gerbil has a swollen scent gland on his

It appears my male gerbil has a swollen scent gland on his stomach. The scab has come off and he is bleeding with his stomach hanging out. Can't find an open vet hospital.

I am so sorry you had to wait for an answer. The question was just sent to my area. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with special interest in Pocket Pets. I suspect that Jack has a Scent Gland Tumor that may have ruptured. What we need ti do is remove any bedding that can get into the area. Use plain paper towels so nothing can become embedded in the area. Next take some diluted Betadine with warm water and gently blot the area, followed by some Neosporin. Change the paper towels as needed. I am going to give you some links for Rodent Vets as well as ER Vets.

Vets: Please put the word member in each blank to get the list of Vets.

This is a link to locate ER Vets:

Any ER Vet can perform emergency treatment if you cannot get one of the Rodent Vets to see Jack. he may need some fluids if he has been bleeding and most likely will require surgery on the scent gland. Make sure to give fluid via eye dropper. What I suggest is to use Pedialyte Infant electrolyte replacer to help. Please let me know if you have further questions or need further help, Joan

Hi Kelly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?