Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

Hi Deb Im back Last night Hattie took a jump off of

Hi Deb

I'm back

Last night Hattie took a jump off of the couch after she was able to maneuver her way up there. She injured her foot and we ended up at the vet until 10pm last night. They determined that her foot was not broken but gave her an injection of metacam for pain relief. Today the poor thing is so lethargic, she has diarrhea and has had 12 or more very runny stools in the last 8 hours. She feels hot to the touch. Should I be on my way back to the vet?

Hi Jasper,
Always seems to be something doesn't it???

Thank goodness Hattie didn't break any bones but I might hold off taking her back to the vets just yet. She may be having a drug reaction. Commonly seen side effects to Metacam include: vomiting, diarrhea, and inappetence. I've seen a few develop lethargy as well.
I wouldn't expect a fever though. If you have a thermometer, you can take her temperature. Normal is between 100 and 102.5. If it's high, then I might have her rechecked.

If her temperature is normal and she doesn't worsen, then you might be able to treat her symptomatically at home; the drug should be out of her system within 24 hours or so.

1. Feed a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice, small meals through the day as I mentioned before when we chatted about her.
2. Normally, I might suggest Pepto Bismol but it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) and I'm afraid that it might cause more harm in this situation.
3. I've mentioned probiotics before, too, but you may not need them if this is a transient event.

If she's having a drug reaction, then she clearly is quite sensitive to this drug since she only had one dose. Of course, there are other causes of diarrhea in a pup this age but I'm not a huge fan of coincidence so will go with drug reaction for now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This might seem a silly question, but how does one take a dogs temperature?

There are no silly questions:))))

You take a human thermometer (just not the ones you stick in the ear), lubricate it with Vaseline or K/Y or even cooking oil, gently insert it into the rectum, and wait for it to beep when it's ready to be extracted....usually less than one minute.
If you have the old mercury kind, then it needs to stay in about one minute before it's removed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will head to the drug store now and pick one up. Thanks so much

You're welcome.
Keep me posted after you take it. I may be off my computer but I'll be checking back in to see if you've responded.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So her temp was in the normal range, 101.3. I left work early to bring her home, she's snuggled in her bed and happy to be home for the day. Thanks for all your reassurance again. Greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the temperature reading and thanks for the rating:)

And, you're more than welcome; I'm always glad to help you and Hattie, of course:)

Keep me posted. I'd like to know how she does.

I have to work tomorrow but I usually check in around noon-time if you've send me an update. Hopefully, she'll be back to normal tomorrow. Regards, Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hattie, is still having loose stools this morning, but she is back to her bouncy playful puppy self.

Having a puppy is more stressful than my four kids!!!!

Thanks for all you help, I will keep you marked in my favorites should something else arise.

Have a great weekend

I agree about pets/puppies being stressful! ...and it doesn't seem to get any better no matter how many you're had, either:)

Glad to hear that her attitude is back to normal; hopefully, the stools will soon follow but you have options if they don't.

I'll look forward to chatting with you in the future should...of perhaps I'd better say when other issues arise:) Take care and you have a great weekend as well, Deb