Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Is our rabbits back broke or its hind legs? Its not movin

Is our rabbits back broke or its hind legs? Its not moving.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with many years experience breeding rabbits. I'm sorry to hear of this incident.

While it's possible your rabbit has a broken bone, there are more common causes of hind leg paralysis. If Bun Bun was dropped, fell, or was twisted in some way, she may have an injury. It's common for injury to the spine, pelvis, or limbs to result in hind leg paralysis. Sometimes administering corticosteroids can help the rabbit heal.

Arthritis is another possible cause, but in a rabbit as young as yours, this is less likely. It can be treated with Rimadyl and/or glucosamine supplementation.

Degenerated or ruptured vertebral discs also cause this condition, but again, that would be uncommon in a rabbit so young.

The sporozoan parasite, Encephalitozoon cuniculi, is yet another possibility. It is treated with anti-parasitic medications, such as febendazole. I have found this to be the most common cause of hind leg paralysis in young rabbits which have not suffered an injury. Here's a site with much more information on hind leg paralysis and weakness:

Regardless of the cause, you'll need to take Bun Bun to a rabbit vet to diagnose the problem. She is not likely to get better on her own. The above causes are very different in their treatment, and the necessary drugs are available by prescription only. Here's a directory that will help you find a rabbit vet near you:

If you have further questions, just let me know in a REPLY. I hope Bun Bun recovers quickly.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She tried to move on her own and I seen her left foot trying to help scoot herself around. She was able to drink when we placed her water so she could reach it.

That's a small good sign that she tried to use her foot. It doesn't give us any clues as to what is wrong. It could still be any of the things we discussed above, most likely an injury or an E. cuniculi infection.

Until you can see the vet, keep her food and water where she can reach it. If she stops eating, it is a medical emergency because rabbits that don't eat quickly develop a condition called gastro-intestinal stasis, It is life-threatening.

I hope you're able to quickly find a vet this morning. If you need anything else, let me know.

Hi Luanne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bun Bun. How is everything going?