Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Previous Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog just ate about 5 triangular snack sized potato cakes

My dog just ate about 5 triangular snack sized potato cakes with cheese. They were a baked breaded. About 5 minutes after he ate them, he regurgitated a lot of it. I'm not sure how concerned I should be about him. He is a 4 year old 20 pound poodle-shiztu mix. Should I be concerned about seasonings or any other products in the potato cakes he may have consumed? Do I need to worry since he did regurgitate most of it already?

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today

I am sorry to hear Paddy has you worried.

The potatoes, seasoning and breading would not be a toxic concern but the seasoning can cause some digestive upset.

I know some people also put onions in potato cakes and these can be toxic in large amount but if he brought most of it back up right away then that would not be a concern either.

If you have Pepcid AC or Pepto Bismol he can have one of these to help settle the stomach. He can have 5-10 mgs of the Pepcid( every 12 hours) or 1 teaspoon of Pepto Bismol ( every 8 hours).

I would keep an eye on his for the next few days. If he stops eating, as any additional vomiting or seems painful in the abdomen I would have him seen by the vet. That said again if he brought up most of it soon after eating then I doubt there will be any problems.

If there was anything specific in the potato cake you are worried about or have any additional questions please reply back and I will be happy to continue.
Candy

Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Paddy. How is everything going?

Candy