Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I need to know if ear mites left untreated in a 19 year old,

I need to know if ear mites left untreated in a 19 year old, spayed female cat can get into the brain and cause possible seizure-like symptoms? I have nowhere else to turn as to whether ear mites can do this and this has caused 2 seizure like symptoms lasting about 15 minutes each time and have happened twice in each of the last
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Ear mites would not be able to penetrate into the brain and cause seizures.

Dr. Drew :

Ear mites are oxygen-breathing creatures, and could not live submerged in fluid or in solid tissues.

Dr. Drew :

Unfortunately, seizures in an elderly cat may be caused by a brain tumor, as the most likely explanation.

Customer:

Dear Dr. Drew,

Dr. Drew :

I'll be waiting for your reply :)

Customer:

I'm going to observe Jerri for the next 24 hours to see if the same sort of "episode," happens with Jerri. I thank you so much for this wonderful service you provide! It truly is wonderful and I'm fortunate to be able to find such a service that exists! It means more than you know!

Customer:

With most sincere thanks,

Dr. Drew :

I am so glad I could be helpful to you this evening!

Customer:

Cathy

Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.