Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I need to know if ear mites left untreated in a 19 year old,

I need to know if ear mites left untreated in a 19 year old, spayed female cat can get into the brain and cause possible seizure-like symptoms? I have nowhere else to turn as to whether ear mites can do this and this has caused 2 seizure like symptoms lasting about 15 minutes each time and have happened twice in each of the last

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Ear mites would not be able to penetrate into the brain and cause seizures.

Dr. Drew :

Ear mites are oxygen-breathing creatures, and could not live submerged in fluid or in solid tissues.

Dr. Drew :

Unfortunately, seizures in an elderly cat may be caused by a brain tumor, as the most likely explanation.

Customer:

Dear Dr. Drew,

Dr. Drew :

I'll be waiting for your reply :)

Customer:

I'm going to observe Jerri for the next 24 hours to see if the same sort of "episode," happens with Jerri. I thank you so much for this wonderful service you provide! It truly is wonderful and I'm fortunate to be able to find such a service that exists! It means more than you know!

Customer:

With most sincere thanks,

Dr. Drew :

I am so glad I could be helpful to you this evening!

Customer:

Cathy