Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

There was a squirrel in my fenced in yard about dusk this evening

There was a squirrel in my fenced in yard about dusk this evening and it was running back and forth in my yard, this went on for 10 minutes or more. At first I thought it was looking for nuts but soon realized that the squirrel was acting bizarre. I have a wooden fence and the squirrel didn't even try to climb the fence. It acted like it didn't know how to climb. We have many squirrel's in our neighborhood and they climb our fence everyday. I have three small dogs and didn't want to let them out for fear they would track it down and get hurt. I went out looking with a flashlight and looked all over my yard and in my garage but couldn't locate it. From the way it was acting I find it hard to believe it is gone. Could the squirrel have rabies?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ Years. Can you supply your State so i can check and see if Any cases of Rabies have been found in your area?

Was the squirrel foaming at the mouth?

Did he act as if he has some Neurological issues?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Northern New York.

It was hard to see but don't think so.

It didn't look hurt or anything but was definitely confused.

I was coming out of my garage when it ran right pass me. It had ran in our yard from our metal fenced gate (only our front gate is change link fencing). It didn't even look at me and I was real close.

Squirrels and other small Rodents are generally unheard of to carry Rabies, it is not impossible, but rare: . The animals we mostly see are raccoons, bats, skunks, otters, fox and woodchucks. The New York area is not showing any cases of small Rodents carrying Rabies. You can look at this chart: It gives you an idea of where rabies has been found and what type of animal has been the carrier.It is possible that the squirrel may have gotten into a toxin like a rodenticides that had been put out or had some type of neurological issue that disoriented it causing the erratic behavior. I seriously doubt that the squirrel had rabies, but it was wise you kept the dogs in to be on the safe side. In any case as long as your dogs are vaccinated, they are safe. Make sure you keep the vaccines up to date and if they ever do get into a tussle with any animal make sure and keep it for the local Animal Care and Control to send off to the lab for examination. Also make sure you take your dogs into your Vet get a Rabies booster. Please let me know if you need further help or you have further questions that I can assist you with this evening. My goal is to give you 100% Excellent Service and put your mind at ease. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Joan, could a squirrel do a lot of damage to my small dogs if it went after the squirrel or cornered the squirrel.

Depending on the breed of your dogs, most likely the dogs will either kill the squirrel since they would act as a pack when they go after the squirrel, or the squirrel will get away. Terrier breeds were bred to hunt small prey and even down holes to hunt animals like squirrels and other small rodents. My Chihuahua and XXXXX XXXXX terrier went after squirrels all the time as well as Mocking birds and got hurt from the mocking birds. They chased the squirrels out of the yard since the squirrel could climb and get through tight places. What type of small dogs do you have? Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2 are Chihuahua and Pomeranian mix, both are 18 months old.

The third dog is 4 year old Pekinese mix.

None of them are fighters but would chase the squirrel.

The squirrel most likely will get away from the dogs. It could scratch or bite, but generally the squirrel would try and get away and not stay to fight, unless there was no way out. Joan