Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My rabbit recently died. Two days before he didnt eat, the

My rabbit recently died. Two days before he didn't eat, the next day he ate very little. There was no signs of urine and very small droppings. The day before he could stand up but couldn't hop he would slide around on his stomach. He was supposed to go to the vet the morning he passed away. Now I can't seem to stop trying to figure out why this happened so suddenly. Any answers?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a Vet tech and have worked with small animals and Exotics. I am so sorry for the loss of Buddy.

Can you tell me how long it was that Buddy did not eat?

How long was he not passing pellets?

What type of diet was he on?

Did he get hay as well as pellets and fresh veggies?

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your response;

Buddy stopped eating on a Wednesday ,but ate some on Thutsday' he died on that Friday. The pellets started getting very small that Wednesday and stopped altogether.

His diet included fresh spring salads, fruit, timothy hay and pellets made from timothy hay.

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

Please accept my sincerest sympathy. Without a Necropsy we cannot be sure of the exact cause, but from what you have told me I suspect a GI Stasis was responsible for the rapid loss of Buddy. A GI Stasis is also known as The Silent Killer. Rabbits have to have food constantly going in. They have a Hindgut Fermentor digestive tract. If the food does not go in, the digestive tract stops working and the Rabit can die within hours. The sliding around on his stomach was most likely a sign of pain and that is why he was doing that. This is some information on GI Stasis: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html Any time a Rabbit stops eating and drinking the immediate first aid is to push foods and fluids and see a Vet with rabbit experience immediately. I hope this helps you understand what may have happened.

Please let me know if you need further help. There may have been an underlying reason for the GI Stasis, but I suspect the GI Stasis was the problem that robbed Buddy of his life. This is a common problem in Exotics and Herbivores. Joan

Joan, Vet Technician
Experience: Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your kind words and information.. I have read about GI stasis and suspected it was the reason.

Still wish I had known before hand.

Thanks again for your information.

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

Hinsight is always 20/20. Anytime a Rabbit stops eating, it becomes a cause for a Vet visit. I send you my sincerest condolences. Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

At that point do you think he could have survived?

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

It would be iffy on what would would have happened. We know there was an underlying cause that stopped Buddy from eating.It may have been cancer which we see in older Rabbist or something else and the Stasis was the end result. You could not have known, because it happened so fast and you did the best you could. The diet was spot on and I can tell you really loved him. Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

You have been very helpful and kind. Thank you so much, I think I can have some closure now. I did love him dearly and miss him so much.

Good night

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.
I am glad I was able to give you some closure! Have a good evening. Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.
I just wanted to offer my sincerest condolences for the terrible loss of Buddy.
Joan