Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My 5 year old ferret has a swollen, very firm, and somewhat

My 5 year old ferret has a swollen, very firm, and somewhat red/bloody looking weewee.....I am not sure what could have caused it. Is there anything I could do about it before i take him to the vet. I don't want to take him if i don't have to.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in small animals and Exotics.

Can you tell me what type of bedding you are using?

Does it seem like the penis is fully extended outside of the sheath?

How long has it been like this?

Can you see any injury to the penis itself?

Please give me some time to respond after you answer the questions.

Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I don't use any bedding because his skin is sensitive so he just has a little carpet floor with lots of blankets.

His penis is not extended but it feels really hard underneath his skin. Sort of like a firm bump. I just noticed this today and have lost my phone so I cannot call the vet for another few hours when my friend gets home.

The tip of his penis is red and looks like it has been bleeding a bit. It doesn't seem to be bleeding right now but it is just red and swollen looking.

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

Thank-you for the information. I am concerned that some carpet fibers from the bottom of the cage and hair from around the penis may have gotten between the penis and sheath and has irritated the area causing it to swell. We can try some basic first aid to help by using cool compresses on the penis and sheath to try and reduce swelling. You can use some Plain Sterile personal lubricant on the tip of the penis where it is red and inflamed. We want to be sure whatever we use is sterile to prevent any infection. Another issue that concerns me is Adrenal disease in Ferrets is a common problem and can cause prostate issues in males and this can affect the penis since pressure is put on the urethra and problems urinating, which can cause swelling and pain in the area. Usually with Adrenal Disease we see other issues, but this is an after thought to have checked by your Vet: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1983

In the mean time, start the cool compresses to see if we can reduce the swelling. Apply the sterile personal lubricant to keep the tip of the penis that is exposed from drying out. Contact the Vet asap to have Syd seen. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. My goal is to make sure you are 100% satisfied and all your questions answered.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you so much. I will make sure to do that. I appreciate your help!

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome! My goal is to give you and Syd Excellent Service and I hope I have met my goal today and you will rate my service accordingly. I will check on Syd in a few days to see how he is doing. Joan

Joan, Vet Technician
Experience: Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.
I am checking up on Syd to see how he is doing. Hope he is felling better. Joan