Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

What are common sites for injections of vaccines on cats? How

Customer Question

What are common sites for injections of vaccines on cats? How about on dogs? In April one of my cats was diagnosed with sarcoma. The mass is on her left hind leg, which I thought was a common vaccine injection site. I have been treating her with holistic animal medicine and the mass has decreased in size, although the process hasn't been a pretty sight. I have been told that sarcoma is related to vaccination, and senior pets should not receive and do not need vaccinations.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

Vaccines in cats are typically given in the legs. We'll give them in different legs based on the type of vaccine. Older cats still should be vaccinated, but we typically do every three years as opposed to yearly as we used to do it.

These vaccine induced sarcomas are occasionally seen in cats unfortunately. The reason we went to giving vaccines in the legs is so that the leg can be amputated if a sarcoma arises. This is the treatment of choice for these tumors. When we used to vaccinate in the scruff, we couldn't do much to treat these sarcomas.

I would recommend seeing an oncologist to confirm the vaccine sarcoma and then schedule an amputation of the leg if all of the tumor can be removed. If all of it is removed, then surgery is curative. If it's too large, then there is not much we can do and eventually it will be fatal. We do not have any successful treatment options medically. If something holistic is helping, then you can continue it. It will not cure the cancer, but any improvement is encouraging.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes, I'm going to continue to use the holistic medicine. Her appetite and energy appear to be the same as they have been during most of her life.

How would or could I be able to monitor the disease? I was told that it can't be monitored through blood work. ?

No, bloodwork doesn't really help. The monitoring is basically keeping an eye on the size of the mass and her attitude, appetite and weight.
Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Okay, thank you.

You're welcome.