Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience in emergency, surgery and medicine
14018973

If I put a cat repeller in the garden will it affect hedge

If I put a cat repeller in the garden will it affect hedgehogs?

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. Can you tell me if you're looking into a specific one? Is it one of the ultrasonic repellers?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the one I have been looking at is the PestBye Battery Operated Cat Repeller - Ultrasonic Cat Scarer.

Alright. The effectiveness of these products is variable at best. Will a hedgehog be affected by the frequency when it goes off? More than likely one would have to be very close to the unit to get the full effect to have any effect on it. If the hedgehog was inside when it goes off, it most likely won't cause an issue. It could be considered something like a dog whistle on a dog. It is basically a sound that they hear and when it is very loud (close) then it is more startling. If they are far away from it, they shouldn't be bothered. Here is an interesting youtube link on a similar product that I wanted to share showing how some other animals are affected by it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv13QDct9OY
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you suggest something to keep the cats out?

I wish there was a great product out there for just this. You can definitely try it to see if it helps, but like in the video, it seems like they can become used to it and also just stay out of the way of tripping off the sensor. For keeping them out of a garden, can you place chicken wire around it to provide a physical barrier? Other than that, most of the products seem to promise the world and not be able to hold up that promise.