Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

I have a 6 month old male hamster

I have a 6 month old male hamster who was very active and friendly. 3 days ago he stopped eating, is very inactive, has his ears back all the time and when you pet him on the back all you can feel is his backbone. He does not have wet tail. He is not grooming himself either which he normally does a spectacular job at. Please help I don't want him to die.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years and I have special interest in Exotics and Pocket Pets.

Can you tell me if Jingles is a dwarf hamster or Syrian hamster>

What type of diet is he on?

Do you feed any fresh foods?

Is he eating and drinking?

Is he passing stool and Urine?

How long has he been acting like this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is a Syrian hamster not eating but is drinking for the last 3 days. He is eating packaged food no fresh. He is urinating but no stool.

May I ask the brand of food? There have been some recalled?

Do you have Hamster Pellet food available?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kaytee brand. No pellet food but can surely get some.

The fancy brands of food with all the seeds and fruit are not always the best to feed and right now we need to have a pellet food or if you can get to the pet shop we need a product called Critical Care for small animals :

If you cannot find the Critical are we can gind some Pellet food and mix with Pedialyte into a slurry and start syringe feeding. It is important to get some food going in. The metabolizim in Hamsters is very fast and they burn calories rapidly. They can also have the gut shut down in a GI stasis if they do not have food going in. I would try to get the Critical care which is a recovery food for ailing small animals, but if not a good quality pellet will work. The signs you have descibed are non specific, so it will be hard to pinpoint what is happening without a hands on visit to a Vet who is familiar with small exotic and rodents. We may be dealing with a viral infection, bacterial infection or even worse Cancer. Hamsters since inbred so much are prone to many issues. Right now keep him out of a draft, try syringe feeding him the pellet and pedialyte mixture or critical care. You can try offering some fresh foods like a little hard boiled egg which hamster really love. If you scroll all the way down this link has a recommended foods that you can use to supplement Jinggles. I am going to give you a link for Vets that can treat Jinggles: This link you need to put Memeber in each blank and it will bring Vets up by State:

This link is a link of Exotic mammal Vets :

Please let me know if you have further questions. The lack of grooming and weight loss is very concerning. Since Hamsters are prey animals, they hide illness well, and we need to have Jinggles seen by a Vet asap, but in the mean time, please try the feeding to help with some energy and to get the gut working. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you but Jingles passed away Tues overnight

My sincerest sympathies for the loss of Jingles. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you

Hi Robyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jingles. How is everything going?