Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Anna, I was reading about breeding the Cavy and I saw that

I was reading about breeding the Cavy and I saw that there was some sort of calcification that happens in their pelvis if they are not bread by a certain time. Is this accurate?

What you read is basically true. Eight months is the maximum age at which a guinea pig should give birth to her first litter. After that, the dangers of pregnancy rise. It is estimated that about 1 of every 5 female guinea pigs dies while giving birth. Being over 8 months old increases those odds. It isn't exactly calcification that happens. Guinea pigs have a symphysis, which is a band of cartilage that connects the two pubic bones. At about 8 months in an unbred female, it becomes very stiff. It can't give enough for them to deliver normally. Of course, it doesn't happen every single time, but it is a risk.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is doing great. i am still deciding whether to breed her with her brothers.

I hope things will go well, whatever you decide.