Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Previous Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have a 15 year old dog who is having incontinence issues

I have a 15 year old dog who is having incontinence issues and sometimes her balance is off. She still has her appetite and gets around without assistance. Could be the beginning of the end for her? I can't deal with the constant cleanup. Is there any medication that can help with the incontinence?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear your girl is having some trouble.

Unfortunately this is very common in senior dogs and rarely do the bladder support supplements available over the counter work. There is however prescription medication that can help. Phenylpropanolamine( Proin ) does help but is available by prescription only.Click here for additional information on this drug

It may also help to start using dogie diapers and or pee pee pads where she lays the most.
I know this is difficult to deal with and honestly this is often something that leads to euthanasia in senior dogs simply because owners just can not deal with it anymore.

As far as the balance being off this could be due to problems with arthritis, spinal degeneration and even changes in the brain. Depending on the cause there are supplements that can help with some of these as well.

I would suggest taking with your vet regarding trying the phenylpropanolamine and consider trying the dogie diapers.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.