Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My Chinchilla had to be moved to another room 1 week ago. He

My Chinchilla had to be moved to another room 1 week ago. He lost his appetite and barely ate anything. He started to appear listless and had problems moving around . It also sounds like he is making little tweets,chirps and sneezes. He manages to eat from my hand and drinks when I hold his bottle. He likes tosleep on my chest What can I do to make him more comfortable?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that we have a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Camille

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in small animal health. I'm sorry to hear of Ande's problem.

I know you want to make him more comfortable, and would like a home treatment to solve the problem, but unfortunately, this is not a situation where that is possible. I feel bad to have to tell you this, and I know it isn't what you want to hear, but Ande is sick. The symptoms you're seeing are not signs of missing your husband, or of being upset about moving to a new room. The noises you hear often indicate a respiratory infection. when ever a chinchilla stops eating and becomes inactive, it means something is wrong. The best thing to do is take Ande to an exotic animal vet as soon as you can. It would be best to do that today because if he gets sicker over the weekend, you may not be able to find an emergency clinic that sees chinchillas. This link will take you to a directory of exotic animal vets:

http://www.inyourarea.net/local/exotic-animal-vets/?gclid=CKXUrPS-tp4CFQEhDQod-mSZmQ

In the meantime, continue the measures you've been taking. I would also give him some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants) to prevent dehydration. Use a syringe to put it in the side of his mouth, net straight down the throat (that can cause aspiration into the lungs).

Here is a site where you can scroll down to illnesses and read some details about respiratory infections, as well as other chinchilla health problems:

http://www.cuddlycrittersexotics.com/chinchillas.htm

If you have further questions or concerns about this, just let me know.If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY, but I do believe a vet is your best choice of action. I hope Ande will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.