Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience in emergency, surgery and medicine
14018973

I was really scared my ferret had a partial blockage but after

I was really scared my ferret had a partial blockage but after doing some research I'm not sure because he's eating and drinking water and not throwing up. The only thing is that his stool is smaller than normal and he's not going as often. He had diarrhea once but not again after that and it's been 4 days. It does seem that he doesn't have as much energy, it may just be me being paranoid. I did recently changed his food. Could that be my problem?

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question about Weasel. Do you feel he's still as active and playful? How long ago was this food change? Is he loosing any weight?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i changed his food about a week ago. he doesnt seem to be losing any weight. and he still plays

I would say that in this situation, I would be heavily suspicious of the change of food being at the heart of this Jennifer. Usually when I'm looking for a blockage in a ferret, the history pushes me in that direction because it is vomiting, not eating, not drinking, acting painful, or becoming down and dumpy. In Weasel's situation, the food change most likely is different in its basic composition and therefore it is being digested better and thus less is left to defecate out. Basically the higher fiber / more filler diets have less digestible materials and they bulk up the stools. So if his food is being more digestible and absorbed, then less comes out. While ferrets definitely have the desire to be foreign body patients by their habits of chewing on things, Weasel doesn't seem that suspicious at this time.