Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Previous Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog has been laying around and not eating and gagging a

My dog has been laying around and not eating and gagging a lot. I induced vomiting and gave baby aspirin. What else can I do?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Edward is having some trouble.

Why did you induce vomiting were you worried that he go into something?

How old is he and has he been completely vaccinated?

What breed is he?

When did he last pass stool and was it normal?

What color are his gums?

Any discharge from the nose or eyes?

Can you take a rectal temp
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is 9 months and has all his vaccinations and neutered. I thought maybe he ate something and it got stuck so I helped him vomit thinking that would help. I have picked several ticks off of him also. His gums look fine and he has no temp. No discharge.

Ok Just a few more questions. I apologize but without being able to see him I have to rely on information.

How long has this been going on?

Has there been any changes to the diet new foods, treats or human foods?

Does he ever eat things he should not?

Is he eating and drinking normally?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is drinking but not wanting to eat. He pooped and it looked normal and is wetting also. He is always eating new things but always has.

Thank you . It is possible this is due to something he ate. It is never good to change the diet around as this can cause digestive upset. Some humans foods are toxic and fatty foods can and will often result in pancreatitis. Click here

I would with hold all food for 12 hours. You can use one of the following to settle the stomach.

* Pepcid AC- 0.5mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours.

* Pepto Bismol. 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight every 8-10 hours. This can cause constipation so use as needed.

After the fast you want to feed a bland diet of boiled chicken or hamburger and rice. Feed this in small meals several times per day for the next 2 days. On the 3rd day you can mix this with his kibble. If he has any vomiting after the fast, refuses to eat or continues to gag I would suggest having him seen by your vet.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Hi Lourie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Edward. How is everything going?