Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Hi, I think Rosie has gotten pregnant again. Is there any

I think Rosie has gotten pregnant again. Is there any way to tell if she is? Usually I feel under her stomach and feel the two pouches forming on either side to assume she is. Is there a more productive way?

If Rosie was with a male, she probably is pregnant. The method you use to determine pregnancy is as reliable as any, but we normally can't feel the babies until the mother is about 5 months along. The only sure way to determine it is to have a vet examine her, and possibly take an x-ray or ultrasound. That can be a bit expensive.

I also like to weigh the females once per week. It's most accurate to use a scale that weighs in grams.Some people use a baby scale or a large kitchen scale. You'd have to get Rosie's normal weight when she isn't pregnant. If you weigh her every week after that, you'll have a pretty good idea of when she's pregnant.

I wish I could give you an easy way that is very reliable, but unfortunately, there isn't one that's any better than what you're doing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

5 months? I thought Guinea Pig gestation was shorter than that.

I'm sorry - I was tired when I posted. I meant 5 weeks.