Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

What is the maximum safe height for a platform/shelf for a

What is the maximum safe height for a platform/shelf for a guinea pig?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I hope the new home is coming along well. I have never seen a maximum safe height listed anywhere for guinea pigs. The only recommendation for ramps and platforms is 'low.' I never use ramps or platforms because guinea pigs can so easily break their backs when twisting from even a short fall. Without any 'official' guidelines, I wouldn't go any taller than 4 to 6 inches. There is some risk involved even with that. Guinea pigs get their exercise by running and jumping into the air, so the most important thing to provide is lots of floor space. Here are two good sites with information on housing:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/guinea_pigs/tips/guinea_pig_housing.html

http://www.guinealynx.info/housing.html

While guinea pigs don't need climbing areas and platforms like hamsters and rats do, if you want to provide such furniture, I would certainly stay under 6 inches. As always, let me know if you need anything else. I hope when you finish the new home, you'll be able to post a photo - I'd like to see it.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I close the question how do I post a picture?

The cage is 38x31x30 for 6 guineas. I was going to make a multi level cage (each level sealed) then I was thinking about having where they could go up and down the entire height, but I can not figure out how to make it safe where they can not fall.

Would they use a sideways exercise wheel. to have it horizontal.

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Guinea pigs are not likely to use an exercise wheel. The only way i know of to make it safe for them to go up and down is to use closed tunnels (or ramps with sides) instead of ramps, but they probably won't use them. More than once I've answered questions from people wanting to know how to teach their guinea pigs or rabbits to go up a ramp, and the answer is that you can't. some are braver or more curious than others, and will give it a try. But it is against their nature to such a thing, so many will never attempt it.

You should be able to come back to any of your questions, closed or not) and click on REPLY in order to post a picture. At least that's how it's supposed to work.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here is my Guineapig paradise mark 2, V1. It has the space to have up to 3 levels with ramps and such. I usually have the good food on the top of the ramps (treats and such) but have regular food like pressed hay cubes below so they wont go hungry if they choose not to climb. I put them on top once so they can see the way down, and they usually find their way.

Guinea Pig Paradise Mark2, V1

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
That looks like a very nice home. Thanks for sending the picture. I hope they continue to enjoy it.

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Goldie. How is everything going?

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for following up. They love their new cage. The only flaw is the corners have a gap they jave decided is the perfect toilet. I have not made any platforms just because I am working on sexing the other babies and getting the cleaning process refined. Since there are 4 pans to change.

I am waiting for the next litter to see where they will go. I am pretty sure she is pregnant again.

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they tend to get pregnant repeatedly until you separate the sexes, so she probably is. I've noticed they tend to like corners for toilets. so do rabbits. It sounds like you have your hands full with guinea pig projects. Hope you soon get it all organized and completed.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ty, I am sure trying. My son has decided he wants to be a guinea pig rancher. So he is upset I want to slow down production. Lol
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
A guinea pig rancher, LOL. Well, tell him a good guinea pig rancher gives his sows a rest period to keep them healthy.